Readings for 3/10

I found the readings for this week to be just as difficult as last week! They were a little hard to follow but hopefully I absorbed the right things out of them…

Kael’s “Circles and Squares” was definitely the most difficult reading, by far. From what I gathered, she has a negative view on the “school of criticism”. She describes the outter, middle, and inner circles of criticism, from what the critics themselves are actually doing. She doesn’t agree with the way the critics are coming their conclusions about certain directors and certain films, but it’s continuously happening.

Sarris seems to try and chime in and explain why Kael feels so stronly about criticism. He claims that, “Taste is a function of scale.” He writes for some of the same papers and these famous critics do, but he’s not sure if he should fall in line with the rest of them. He claims that all critics seem to think the same, which defeats the point of criticism itself. Why be a critic if you’re going to feel the same way about directors and films that everyone else does?

Reading this reminds me of the Academy Awards this past Sunday. The big winner, The Hurt Locker, took home 6 Oscars, yet it didn’t make that much money at the box office- not NEARLY enough as Avatar, yet this film won best picture because it was the critics favorite. I feel that award ceremonies like that are very bias. It all depends on the critics, not on the people who went out and paid money to watch them.

Am I understanding this correctly? Someone help.

1. christina421 Said,

March 10, 2010 @ 12:57 am

In response to the Hurt Locker winning several Oscar Awards, it is apparent that this film was regarded as important. I believe this is the first win for a female director. I’m sure that hurt Cameron since Kathryn is his ex-wife. All the money that Iron Jim put into Avatar, and yet no rewards were given to him. The storyline for Avatar has been repeated many times, many people say it’s similar to Pocohantas. The only buzz about this film are the special effects and it’s overly talked about 3-D craze. I must admit I have not seen Avatar, however, I am sure the Academy looks at the overall quality of the film, content, and style. I am not in any way denying the wow factor of the film. I’m sure Avatar looks amazing. It’s nice to see one of the “little” guys get recognized.

2. christina421 Said,

March 10, 2010 @ 1:01 am

In response to the Hurt Locker winning several Oscar Awards, it is apparent that this film was regarded as important. I believe this is the first win for a female director. I’m sure that hurt Cameron since Kathryn is his ex-wife. All the money that Iron Jim put into Avatar, the Best Director award wasn’t given to him. The storyline for Avatar has been repeated many times, many people say it’s similar to Pocohantas. The only buzz about this film are the special effects and it’s overly talked about 3-D craze. I must admit I have not seen Avatar, however, I am sure the Academy looks at the overall quality of the film, content, and style. I am not in any way denying the wow factor of the film. I’m sure Avatar looks amazing. It’s nice to see one of the “little” guys get recognized.

3. christina421 Said,

March 10, 2010 @ 1:03 am

** Made a correction*** The second comment is the correct one.

4. Shana Santos Said,

March 10, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

I’ve seen both film and The Hurt Locker was a very good film, it did deserve these awards. But I do feel Avator was over looked by critics. I definitly left the theater reacting to what I saw. I feel like it was in your faceand had a lot to say about our country in regards to the enviorment and about the U.S. invasion into other countries. The special effects in Avator are amazing and the whole fantasy aspect of it over powers its message.

In regards to the readings, I found them a little difficult to read as well, but the Kael article, in my eyes was basically attacking Sarris article, and his credibility. She doesn’t think critics should judge films based upon the director, Film is an art and the work is what should be judged.

5. dana318 Said,

March 14, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

I loved Avatar but in terms of the Oscars I feel that a film such as the Hurt Locker is more of what an audience looks for when trying to identify with a film. I could be wrong but this is my opinion

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI